Saturday 21 November 2009

North Atlantic battle that made legend of HMS Rawalpindi - Times Online

North Atlantic battle that made legend of HMS Rawalpindi - Times Online

Another tale of heroism and bravery here, in the best traditions of the Royal Navy. I have more than a passing interest in military history (well, all history if I'm honest) and this is the kind of thing that stirs a chap's soul. It also holds a little personal interest for me as my grandfather served on a minelayer during the war in the same waters and was once informed that the battleship Scharnhorst was in the vicinity. Luckily they never encountered it; armed as they were with only one 4½-inch deck gun the battle would have been terribly one-sided, as it was in this case too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just sit there, type something! I enjoy reading all friendly and positive comments.

Followers

Popular Posts